As the FIFA World Cup is less than a month away, we are seeing managers name their preliminary squads which are clear indicators of who is most likely to be on the plane to Russia barring any late injury scare. There are a few surprise omissions from some of the big countries. Here is an 11 man squad of the players who will be catching all the action from home -
- Joe Hart - The Manchester City goalkeeper who spent the season on loan at WestHam United has not received an international call-up despite being the leading shot-stopper for the Three Lions at the previous three international competitions.
- Ryan Bertrand - Bertrand started the season well with Southampton but as their form waned towards a relegation battle, his chances faded and he was ultimately left out in favor of Manchester United’s Ashley Young and Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose, with Manchester City’s Fabian Delph acting as cover. The England Manager remarked “Ryan is very unfortunate in that it’s probably one of the strongest positions we have. Ryan has had a decent season but I just felt the others were ahead of him.”
- Aymeric Laporte - The case of Aymeric Laporte is an intriguing one. Despite joining Manchester City in January for a fee of 65 million euros and subsequently winning the Premier League title, he remains uncapped by the French national team.
- Shkodran Mustafi - The 26-year-old has suffered from a disappointing season at a club level with Arsenal, where he has been the subject of repeat criticism for remote displays that have seen him make critical errors against the likes of Southampton and Newcastle.
- Alex Sandro - The Brazilian defender has had a very negative campaign with the Old Lady. After two convincing seasons in Turin, Sandro has failed to live up to expectations this season. With Marcelo ready to play as the primary left back in the squad and Filipe Luis being selected to deputize for him, there is no place for the 27-year-old.
- Jack Wilshere - Despite finishing the season strongly and appearing in all competitions for Arsenal during the second half of the campaign, the English central midfielder hasn’t been picked by Gareth Southgate. He has actually put together a season where he's been able to prove his fitness but still hasn't been selected by Southgate.
- Andre Gomes - Andre Gomes hasn't taken his chances at the Camp Nou this term, with the home fans often making their distaste for him abundantly clear. With the emergence of Bruno Fernandes at Sporting CP, the Barcelona midfielder hasn't been selected.
- Mario Gotze - The player who helped Germany secure the World Cup in Brazil four years ago has not been called up this time around. This will be a huge blow to the midfielder personally, as he has successfully battled a career-threatening injury and returned to play for Borrusia Dortmund this season but the plethora of available midfield and attacking options available to Die Mannschaft has seen his name excluded from the provisional squad.
- Dimitri Payet - Dimitri Payet has long been a favorite of Didier Deschamps, and his performances at Euro 2016 were fantastic, however, injury has forced him out of the Russian showpiece after he exacerbated a muscular problem in Wednesday's Europa League final.
- Anthony Martial - A surprise omission from the French national squad, the talented young attacker seems to have missed out due to a lack of playing opportunity offered to him under Jose Mourinho at Manchester United and this has cost the versatile forward a place in the Les Bleus squad.
- Alexandre Lacazette - Alexandre Lacazette has had a mixed debut season with Arsenal, but despite scoring 14 league goals the preference for Olivier Giroud left the former Lyon star out. Also with the likes of Mbappe, Fekir, and Griezmann who can all play as axial strikers, there seems to be an abundance of attacking talent, that has led to his omission.
Vierw all 64 world cup matches live at Betfame livescore Tags :